patagonia

patagonia

Can't get enough of Southeast Asia....

Southeast Asia continues to intrigue me - the culture is exotic and the destinations are authentic and emerging. Given that superb combination it can't possibly get much more interesting than that!


Honestly my stop in Kyoto, Japan is somewhat by accident and has proven to be  a sensational detour. Let me say that there are wonderful ways to create magic out of a ho- hum layover. When I realized I most probably would be connecting through Tyoko, I decided to route my flight through Kyoto, Japan.... a country high on my list. (Allow me to help you get creative in your layovers.) Now I simply cannot wait  for some serious destination immersion into this fabulous country of Japan.

I am so excited to be visiting Kyoto, Japan during their very busy Golden Week, a collection of four national holidays within seven days.  Kyoto has a terrific transportation system and getting around is very easy. I happen to be visiting Kyoto in April and  can still see the beautiful cherry blossoms although late in bloom.  If you can visit only one city in Japan, set your sights on Kyoto.  This ancient city was the capital of Japan for more than 1,000 years and still is considered the country's spiritual capital. Kyoto is elegant, graced with an abundance of temples, palaces, gardens and museums.
 
                              Kiyomizu Temple with cherry blossoms!

The highlights of Kyoto are centered on three sites: the Golden Pavilion, Nijo Castle and the Kiyomizu Temple. To maximize your knowledge of this intriguing city, a private tour is the only way to properly experience this and I am happy to arrange a tour for you!

Several Fun Tips:
Fans of Arthur Golden's novel Memoirs of a Geisha might like to stroll around the Gion neighborhood, where the story was set. It was enjoyable to walk through the Gion District and I found the souvenir offerings to be exquisite.

Do use hashi (chopsticks) for Japanese food. Use Western utensils for Western food. Note: Please avoid stabbing your french fries with chopsticks.

Added bonus: 
The flight from Kyoto to Bangkok, Thailand is only five hours and I have maximized my layover with two wonderful nights in lovely Kyoto, Japan.
*******************************************

On a  very different note, Bangkok Thailand, can soothe or ruffle, and it often does both. You either love the excitement of the vibrant charm or are overwhelmed by it. Whatever the case you cannot deny that this cultural hub of Southeast Asia will assault your senses. Whether contemplating the sunrise or partaking in the ritual of the monks collecting alms, you will marvel at the peace which can be found in this chaotic city. Within a few blocks you will witness both  modern civilization and historic treasures.  Bangkok's temples are some of the finest in all of Asia.

Major sights: The Grand Palace; Wat Pho; Chatuchat Market; the sunset over Wat Arun

Memorable Meals: Ahhh, too many to list! Please call me.

The Grand Palace, Bangkok

**********************************
Please take a moment and scroll up to the map at the beginning of this entry.  You will now understand why Phuket, set in the Andaman Sea, is considered Thailand's resort area. Phuket is Thailand's largest island linked to the mainland by the Sarasin Bridge. The renowned destinations of Khao Lak and Phang Nga lie just off the island to the north, Krabi to the east and Koh Phi Phi to the south.

The exotic resort area of Khao Lak is my recommendation on the island of Phuket, allowing easy access to the Similan Islands, fabulous for snorkelers and divers. Among other things Khao Lak offers a stunning coastline and five nearby national parks. Oh do I have excursion ideas for you! What would you say to a private charter on board a 38-ft luxury boat, a Thai cooking class held by a romantic waterfall, jungle safaris or bamboo rafting? Weddings have become very popular as the bride, groom and guests are all treated to  barefoot and beachfront ceremonies.

If there is one excursion you cannot miss it is Phang Nga Bay, renowned for its dramatic limestone islands jutting  vertically out of the lime green water. I was treated to a sea canoe journey meandering through lagoons an caves exposed only at lower tides.  Phang Nga Bay's  most famous limestone rock is Tapu Island, where portions of James Bond's "The Man With The Golden Gun" was shot.
*********************************************

A flight to the north of Thailand takes us to the ancient city of Chiang Mai, "the land of a million rice fields". There is a moat around the old town that still remains intact.  The temps are much cooler that Bangkok and the pace of life is slower.

Tip: Travelers with more adventurous tastes can head for Chiang Rai and other towns  bordering Myanmar. As these are emerging destinations please be sure to call me so that we can create a perfectly suited itinerary to your desires. I can keep you abreast of changes and fluctuations in travel arrangements.
 
Such gentle creatures!

                  Being sprayed by elephants in Chiang Mai, Thailand!

AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!! We spent the day at an elephant farm outside of Chiang Mai. For those of you who know me this is WAY outside my comfort zone... but I did it! We spent the whole day with our elephants, ascending what I considered to be a mountain as we rode bareback.  I was extremely impressed with their conservation efforts and their kind treatment of the elephants. It is clear that the  elephants love their trainers and are well treated.
*********************

Travelers who are looking for Southeast Asia as it was 50 years ago should add Laos to their vacation list. Unlike other Southeast Asian countries who are encouraging a rapid growth of tourism, Laos has remained low-key and has developed at a much slower rate than its neighbors, wishing to stay true to its culture.  My short introduction to Laos was in the lovely, temple filled city of Luang Prabang, hosting a fabulous night market along Sisavangvong Road and its side streets.  Ringed by mountains, the beautiful town of Luang Prabang is an ideal spot for adventurous travelers. There are plenty of opportunities for hikes with trained local guides to hill-tribe villages in the surrounding hills.

"Rice Experience" where I was shown the 13 steps of growing and harvesting.

We are set up with our small stools to give alms to the monks as they pass by in the early morning.

Have I properly conveyed just how much I love this part of the world? Than again I do enjoy all places that I choose to travel. The actual experiences are so important as I design  your amazing travel itineraries.  Please reach out to me at any time kathymoran@kmorantravel.com or 630.267.3054. I look forward to talking!