patagonia

patagonia

Cabo In January



Throwing caution to the wind, I decide to leave my winter coat behind and brave the cold for 20 seconds as I sprint  from the car to the airport entrance. I feel totally liberated as I  realize that it is -2 degrees in Chicago and I am in sandals and short sleeves, heading to sunshine and seventy five degree temps in Los Cabos.  Passengers on the outbound flight to San Jose del Cabo are actually giddy with excitement. Is it the promise of warm weather or the fact that the Bears will be playing the Packers for the NFC Championship? Maybe a bit of both, but in any case there is definitely a celebratory mood.

Chicago January 21   7:05am

This  is a business trip for me. (I can feel you all chuckling at this statement.) Really! I have a very busy agenda with so many properties that I need to see. Each of you has unique needs when it comes to a fabulous vacation experience. Placing you in the right resort is a major concern of mine. I feel confident that this fact finding mission will help me to serve your needs. Los Cabos consists of San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas, two wonderful destinations in one. Both are connected by a modern highway which makes exploring both convenient and enjoyable. Situated at the tip of the Baja Peninsula, Los Cabos proudly claims to have over 300 days of complete sunshine. How I yearn for a day of sunshine and warmth.

After a very smooth nonstop flight to the airport in San Jose del Cabo, I breeze through customs and immediately find my awaiting transfer.  In 35 minutes I am in paradise. My accommodations boast a very large living space and most importantly, a balcony with a full view of the Pacific Ocean. As I sit on my balcony and write this blog, the crashing waves of the Pacific Ocean distract me as I stare off at rock formations in the water and a serene beach. I notice people walking barefoot in the sand, apparently lost in thought as an experience like this is good for the soul. It is from this balcony that I am able to view both the beautiful Cabo sunrise and sunset.                                        
          
                                        
                                     Cabo San Lucas  January 21       2:00pm

Although I only have four nights, I know that I want to better understand the region. A day trip to Todos  Santos was being offered  and I immediately signed up for it. From prior research I knew that this was a charming town to visit while in Cabo San Lucas.If you haven't taken a day tour with a private company it really is the way to experience a particular sightseeing interest. The van we drove in was not luxurious but it was comfortable. An added benefit are the people on the excursion who are engaging and so interested. I love to chat with them and learn about their experiences thus far in Cabo. Specifically I would like to know their thoughts on the resort that they are staying at. 

The road taking us into Todos Santos is  relatively new and built to provide an alternate route for the semi-trucks. You can't really take a wrong turn. Innovation often times brings  unwanted change and the locals are distressed to see a new highway bringing tourists into their town. If you want to experience a more relaxed version of the Baja you might want to take a trip down here sooner rather than later.Todos Santos offers a much different Baja experience than Cabo. Only fifty five minutes from Cabo San Lucas, tiny Todos Santos is home to a growing community of artists.   Perfect for those seeking homemade goods, its streets are lined with specialty boutiques and artists' studios. This is literally an oasis in the desert. Many of the original brick buildings are being transformed into hotels, art galleries, fine shops and gourmet restaurants.  At the hub is the legendary Hotel California. Besides its authentic colonial architecture and cobblestone streets, this picturesque gem of Mexico enjoys pure air, a pristine ocean and a fabulous climate with temps averaging 75-85 degrees year round.

                                                          charming cafe in Todos Santos

In my humble opinion the "real" time to get things done is at 5am. Cabo is no different as I am up early to sit on the balcony and patiently wait for the sun to rise. Perhaps as enjoyable is being treated to the sight of whales spouting offshore especially in the early morning. Prime season in the Baja Peninsula is January through March  as many whales that feed in northern waters migrate south each year. From mid to late fall, these 50 foot/ 73,000 pound mammals make a 6000 mile journey to the warm waters of Baja California and the Sea of Cortez.     It is on my bucket list to see a breaching whale  and I guess I will have to keep traveling in search of this. However I did see frequent spouting and the large gray back and tail  of this graceful gentle giant  contently moving through the waters of the Pacific Ocean.  Such a treat each morning.

There are really three areas to explore and I need to understand the pros and cons of each. Many of the resorts I wish to visit are gated, and thus I need to receive clearance by having a prearranged appointment.  Some of you are very concerned about safety and I feel good about this added level of security. I spend time visiting two gems  at the tip of the peninsula where the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Cortez meet.  Specific clients come to mind as I inspect these resorts. In one case the resort is a holistic retreat directly on a private beach, a 10 minute cab ride into the town of Cabo. The other is an exclusive oceanside oasis connected by a  walkable private tunnel which lets out into the town of Cabo.


                          private tunnel from the resort to the town

Next on my list requires a short cab ride to Medano Beach, which is the only swimmable beach in Cabo San Lucas. It begins at the east side of the harbor and extends for several miles along Cabo San Lucas Bay. Some love this area as you can walk into town from your resort. Depending on where you stay you are steps away from shopping, dining, and nightlife. For those who want to frequent Cabo's legendary nightlife, this area makes it all accessible.  Many of the boating excursions leave from the marina.This is a lively area with plenty of vendors along the beach.  I visit several resorts that would be perfect for certain clients. I walk the beach and tour the resort, just as you would. This gives me the unique ability to experience the resort through your eyes. I'll stop and order nachos as an appetizer. Just checking to make sure that the food is delicious. My ambitious schedule calls for inspections of nine resorts along the corridor, of which I make notes to guide my future recommendations.

I am exhausted and can think of nothing more relaxing than hiking up to the Sky Pool to watch an amazing sunset.  But before that I jog down to the pool bar to catch the end of the Bears vs.Packers game. The area is jammed (should I be surprised?) and some guests have on hats and jerseys in support of their favorite team. I can't get close enough to see the large TV but the vacationing crowd is really into it. After  the game I head up to the Sky Pool where the crowd  is mellow as they anticipate a  beautiful sunset. I scan the horizon and see pods of whales loping through the calm waters. We are not disappointed.

It is no wonder that Cabo San Luca is a premier vacation destination.Names like Nicklaus, Fazio, Norman, Dye and Mickelson strongly influence the golfing landscape. Boat cruises, scuba diving,snorkeling, zipping across miles of sand in souped-up beach buggies,  whale watching, horseback riding, backpacking adventures in the desert, shopping, nightlife - it can all be found here. The Baja countryside beckons.  This trip I have no time for adventures such as this but there certainly are plenty of options while on vacation.  I am in the spa capital of Mexico with no time to indulge:(  These gorgeous and artfully designed spa retreats are meant to welcome its visitors into  a world of calm and rejuvenation. The pampering facilities are endless and beckon the weary travelers as they arrive in droves as Los Cabos is their safe haven from the cold weather.

                                                                  How inviting is this?
                                                               
The weather was perfect, every single day. By most accounts, Los Cabos has unbelievably reliable weather.On our flight home we are all lamenting. So sad to leave. I talk to the couple directly behind me  and they are pleased with where they stayed on Medano Beach. They are coming back - soon - and will try another location, but the destination will be Los Cabos.  Without question, the convenience of international flights and cruising by sea has brought to Los Cabos an amazing number of people who are first-timers. There are a great number of people who come back year after year; this destination offers so much for them. On the plane ride home I am content to spend the next several hours processing another memorable experience.

My opinion: Los Cabos continually redefines itself. This serene sanctuary at the tip of Baja California is like no other luxury destination.