patagonia

patagonia
 INTRIGUING   PORTUGAL
FEATURING  OLD-WORLD EUROPEAN CHARM

 Douro Valley, Portugal

For those of you who follow my travels you know that I am very passionate about  the tried and true destinations, however I am forever in search of adventures that are cutting edge - in most corners undiscovered - and very possibly on the radar to only those "in the know".
When jet lag was non existent upon  my arrival into New Zealand in March, I no longer had to be sold  on the benefits of Vita Coco, pure  coconut water. (As I prepare for my flight in two weeks to Vietnam I am sure to consume several glasses each day in preparation for my international flight.) Upon arrival into Lisbon for this adventure my body clock actually feels regulated. I will be the first to admit that  sleeping while in flight still remains my 'Achilles heel'  - could it be the anticipation of the destination? Anything exciting keeps me from sleeping. (My Mother will be sure to tell you that I never slept on Christmas Eve.)
A plea from Kathy:  Please let me know if you have any tips for sleeping on flights!

My journey begins in Lisbon, capital of Portugal,  a city quickly modernizing as a "hot" European travel destination. Since joining the European Union in 1986, this sprawling city on the banks of the Tagus River  is experiencing a major economic boost. It is such a treat that much of Lisbon is still relatively free of tourist traps.

Observation: Lisbon represents a hodgepodge of historical periods and culture. In my opinion this heightens its travel appeal and charm!  

The best way to get a real sense of Lisbon is to walk. In fact old neighborhoods, such as the Alfama and the Bairro Alto, are mazes of twisting streets—sometimes so narrow that no car could possibly get through.(I cringed in the cab ride from the airport to our hotel in the Baixa, Lisbon's historic downtown.) Be prepared, as you will wander and inevitably get lost for a while. If you are traveling with a Type A, this could be a problem :-)

Recommended Day Trip:  Sintra is an idyllic town located 20 miles west of Lisbon.In the center of Sintra you'll find the Palacio da Vila, a large castle belonging to the Portuguese royal family. On the top of the hill with a spectacular view of the countryside, the Palacio da Pena looks like the setting of a fairy tale

It many respects Portugal is a country of pilgrimages  so I do stop in Fatima, which is directly on the way to Porto where our river cruise will depart.
                
                                                           
                                      An Invitation From KMoran Travel

River cruising is quickly becoming one of my favorite ways to see the world and its not hard to understand why. These elegant vessels typically hold between 115 and 140 passengers and feature balconies in the majority of its spacious staterooms and suites, which range up to 323 sq. ft. The cuisine is outstanding with delightful and attentive service. Local wines are free flowing at lunch and dinner.

Ship features include a library, observation lounge, a top-deck recreation area with tables and chairs, a 24-hour specialty coffee and tea station, fitness center, and bicycles for guests to use on your own or on complimentary guided bicycle tours. **For specific river cruises only.
One of my favorite memories:  Sitting on the sun deck as the beautiful Douro Valley passed by of course with a glass of Vinho Verde,  a unique wine only produced in the North of Portugal.  I long for an afternoon of scenic cruising!

As I cruised from west to east on the Douro River in Portugal, each lovely port had its own character. With an exceptional itinerary prepared,  discoveries each day were true treasures!

Whether it was visiting Quinta do Seixto one of the area's iconic port winemaking institutions , or a shrine decorated with exquisite tilework in the Moorish manner,  or  the ruins of the 12 century Lamego Castle, the authentic gems of the Douro Valley did not cease. The most eastern stop was in the university town of Salamanca, Spain which is an architectural delight with cobblestoned streets and buildings carved from golden stone. It is surely one of the most beautiful cities in Spain.
Feeling a bit winded by my explanation? By no stretch are you over scheduled! There is just the right amount of time to explore on your own. In Figuera de Castelo Rodrigo I got lost in the narrow and steep cobble alleys with their 16th century facades.


                                                          

 Here is  the lovely baroque  Mateus Palace (estate depicted on the  Mateus Rose  wine labels) in Regua, Portugal. The formal gardens are enchanting and serene.

Do you still have the Mateus bottle  that you made into a candle holder?

Special treat: One of the evenings we dined at Quinta da Avessada, a beautiful century-old winery in the heart of the Douro Wine District.  Another evening we  had dinner in an  11th century Alpendurada Monastery with a Fado concert following.

 Just this year I will have experienced three river cruises on very different rivers, The Danube Christmas Markets in Eastern Europe, The Douro in Portugal, and next month The Mekong in Cambodia. Each will create its own adventure and experience.... and it is such an enjoyable way to be transported in style!

Hot tip: Don't delay as river cruising books up ever so quickly. If you are at all interested in exploring this type of vacation in depth please call me.  Were you able to check out my video invitation above? Ciao for now! kathymoran@kmorantravel.com or 630.267.3054.